Japan Rail Pass
The Japan Rail Pass is by far the best and most popular pass available and covers the entire Japan Rail Network.
Please make sure to read the terms and conditions below. For Japanese Passport Holders only: please read and complete these PDFs: Eligibilty (Japanese Language) & Eligibility Form (Japanese Language).
Book Yours Today!
If you are a travel agent, book Japan Rail Passes from here.
- If you are departing within 7 days, please contact JTB. Orders can only be made online for departures outside of 7 days.
- A $10 office processing fee will apply if you come directly to JTB Sydney/Melbourne office for purchasing on the spot.
- Once ordered online, date amendment incurs a fee of $10.
- After the pass is exchanged in Japan, the ticket is non-refundable and non-changeable.
- JR Passes cannot be delivered to PO boxes. Street address only in Australia.
- Courier requires a signature upon delivery. Please provide an address where you will be during normal office hours. If unable to sign for a delivery, please select a DX Mail Option or a pick up.
- Delivery and handling fee charge to be added ($7.00 for DX mail, or $20.00 courier only in Australia). (Please Note: Period of 21st December – 3rd January courier is not available and you may expect some delay for DX mail during this period.)
- JTB is not liable for lost or misplaced passes.
- When you purchase a JR Pass you will receive a physical voucher (Exchange Order) that you must take with you to Japan and swap for the actual pass. If you are ordering only JR East Passes, please select the Pick-up option. The passes will be emailed to you as electronic vouchers. (JR East Pass only)
If you are a tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sightseeing:
You must be visiting Japan under the entry status of “Temporary visitor” according to Japan Immigration Law. When you enter Japan for sightseeing, entry personnel will stamp the passport as “Temporary visitor”. Only a person who has a passport bearing this stamp can use a JAPAN RAIL PASS. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, “Temporary visitor” status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods. A Japan Rail Pass Exchange Order MUST be purchased outside Japan, prior to your trip.
If you are a Japanese national living in a foreign country:
a) be qualified to live permanently in that country; or
b) be married to a non-Japanese residing in a country other than Japan.
- Persons meeting conditions a or b above are required to fax us a copy of a) permanent resident visa or b) marriage certificate. (Fax Number: Sydney Office 02-9510 9479 / Melbourne Office 03-8623-0010). Please bring these documents with your passport when you are purchasing from JTB offices. These documents also need to be produced at the time of exchange in Japan. (if unsure, please contact us on 1300-739-330).
- Australian residents travelling on a Japanese passport are not allowed to purchase JR Hokkaido, East, West or All Shikoku Rail passes.
- In the rare cases where travellers have dual passports (Japanese & Other) you must have your non Japanese passport stamped with “Temporary Visitor” otherwise issuance of JR pass will be refused.
VALIDITY for JAPAN RAIL PASS:
(Please check validity of the other type of rail passes with JTB)
- The valid period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days beginning from the date the PASS is first used.
- The starting date written on the Japan Rail Pass cannot be changed.
- The Japan Rail Exchange Order is valid for three months from the date of issue. You must exchange it at a Japan Rail Exchange Office (in Japan) within these three months in order to receive your Japan Rail Pass. If you fail to make the exchange within these three months then you will not be able to receive your pass.
- At the time you exchange your order voucher for your Japan Rail Pass it is necessary to specify the date that you want to start using the Pass. It can be any date within one month from the date the Pass is received.
- Neither an Exchange Order nor a Japan Rail Pass can be reissued if lost or stolen.
- A refund can only be made with the original JR Pass Exchange Order within one year of the date of issue.
- 20% of the price will be charged as a refund handling fee.
- The non refundable deposit ($110) will be held for 12 months for future travel. Credit card surcharge is non refundable.
An Exchange Order that has not been turned in for JAPAN RAIL PASS can be returned to JTB for a refund, within one year of the date of issue. In such case a handling fee and communication fee will be subtracted from the refund.