Japan Blogs We Read
Here at JTB Australia we love a good blog about Japan. We decided to make a list for your inspiration and to let you know about some of the really cool blogs that are out there. We’ve also broken them up into categories. Please enjoy – we sure do!
There are some really interesting bloggers who focus on travelling in Japan and they’re great places to go to get some inspiration for your upcoming trip:
- Troo Adventure (www.trooadventure.com/category/asia/japan): Trudi Topham maintains an excellent blog that covers all of her travels but don’t worry – she’s put all of her posts on Japan in a separate category.
- Poorly Titled (My Poorly Titled Japan Blog – www.poorlytitled.wordpress.com): A great blog mostly about living in Japan but also really useful for visitors as well.
Japan is a photographer’s dream and offers some wonderful places for urban and outdoor photography. Here’s some of the best blogs we’ve found:
- Tokyo Times (www.tokyotimes.org): This shows the funny, bizarre, poignant and typical moments of a city that straddles the boundaries between old, new, technical, traditional, electric, wooden, kitsch, sacred, upbeat, downtrodden and more. Whatever the case, the photos are raw, honest and endlessly fascinating and provide a wonderful documentary of day-to-day life in Tokyo. Favourite posts: www.wordpress.tokyotimes.org/?p=9364, www.wordpress.tokyotimes.org/?p=9321
- Hiking, Climbing and Mountaineering – Mostly in Japan (www.i-cjw.com/): This guy takes amazing photos of the mountains and outdoors of Japan. Sometimes it looks like the Himalayas and it was eye-opening for us non-climbers in the office to see what the Japanese mountains look like.
- Old Photos Japan (www.oldphotosjapan.com): This site has some amazing photos that show what Japan looked like over 100 years ago! Simply fascinating.
One blog that’s popular with a consultant in the Melbourne office is this one:
http://kyotofoodie.com/ – Great for foodies just don’t read it an hour before your lunch break or you’ll be starving! Some really nice images as well.
Anime & Otaku
To be honest, most of us here at JTB Australia love Japan and Japanese culture but you’d be hard-pressed to find any figurines adorning the desks of our offices. Having said that here are some blogs in that space that have caught our eye:
- Japandaman (www.japandaman.com): This blog does a great job of following all the happenings in Japan’s popular culture including anime, games, music, television, movies and more. It’s a fun place to take a wander and see what you stumble across.